Understanding Instrumentation Courses: How to Upgrade from a Electrician to a E/I Technician

Understanding Instrumentation Courses: How to Upgrade from a Electrician to a E/I Technician

If you’re thinking about becoming an Instrumentation Electrician, you’ll need to sit through one of the Instrumentation Courses on offer.  Employers generally have a slightly higher demand for Instrumentation Electrician as they’re a little more rare and you can expect a increase in your pay rate as a result of the extra qualification.  I know most Electrician’s on construction jobs don’t think there’s anything to being an Instro.  If you’re on the commissioning stage or even further down the line performing maintenance and fault finding on some instruments, I’m sure they’d realise there is.  As an E/I Tech I know that it’s a lot harder to smell the smoke (common fault finding technique) on a XL Voltage apparatus than it is when you open up a high voltage motor termination box.

I have been asked a couple of questions regarding the different Instrumentation Courses on offer a few times lately.  The first question being the differences of each course and also which of the instrumentation courses are suited to different industries.

Certificate III in Instrumentation and Control and Certificate IV in Electrical Instrumentation.


The Difference between each of the Instrumentation Courses?

Certificate IV : Pretty much is the lower end of the two.  If your working on the tail end of the instrument loop ie. the transducers and transmitters, this course will see you through.  This course will give you the practical skills and knowledge to select, install, commission, fault find and basic maintenance of  instrumentation equipment.

Certificate III :  You have to have completed the Cert IV course to participate in the Cert III.  The Cert III Instrumentation and Control Courses will give you skills and knowledge to select, install, set up, test, fault find, repair and maintain systems and devices for measurement and recording of physical/chemical phenomenon and related process control as well as being able to select, install, commission, fault find and maintenance of electrical and instrumentation equipment.

Having trouble deciding which of the instrumentation courses suit you?  The Certificate III in Instrumentation is for more specialised fault finding / frontline breakdown, maintenance, and commissioning and the Certificate IV in Electrical Instrumentation is more for general maintenance and also for the construction E/I roles.


Instrumentation Courses for WA

One of our training partners provide Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians) here:


Job Opportunities for Instrumentation Electricians

  • Mining Shutdowns
  • Heavy Industry Shutdowns
  • Oil & Gas (onshore & offshore) Shutdowns
  • Mining Maintenance
  • Heavy Industry Maintenance
  • Oil & Gas (onshore & offshore) Maintenance
  • Mining Construction
  • Heavy Industry Construction
  • Oil & Gas Construction


For more detail and to help guide you into the construction, mining or resources industries follow this free guide – How to Find a Job in the Mines (or Resources Industry) Guide


Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide.  Like most things in life, there are no guarantees.  Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work to land yourself a job.

Photograph by Lewis Wickes Hine / NYPL Digital Gallery


The team at Cribhut


Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses and better manage your tickets and resumes?

For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.


or click here to have a look around first