Photo Credit (DVIDSHUB)
A Bricklayer lay bricks/blocks in mortar to build and repair walls, foundations, arches, partitions, piers and other structures in the building and construction industries. As a bricklayer you will learn to use heavy duty power tools, cement mixers, laser levelling equipment and restricted height scaffolding. A Bricklayer apprenticeship is a four year term at which you will achieve a Certificate III in Bricklaying.
After you gain experience as a Bricklayer and you reach a high level of skills and experience the option may be there for you to move up the ladder in this industry, you can start your own business or become a supervisor/manager in a smaller domestic/commercial contracting company or in a large scale industrial contracting company.
The normal role of a Bricklayer does not require a Licence to Perform High Risk Work.
Bricklayer Duties and Tasks
- Plan and organise work
- Carry out measurements and calculations
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Calculate and cost construction work
- Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- Carry out basic demolition
- Handle and prepare bricklaying and blocklaying materials
- Use bricklaying and blocklaying tools and equipment
- Carry out masonry veneer construction and cavity brick construction
- Construct masonry arches, steps and stairs
- Lay masonry walls and corners
- Lay multi-thickness walls and piers
- Install flashings and damp proof course
- Construct curved walls
- Install fire-rated masonry construction
Bricklayer Personal Requirements
- Enjoy practical outdoor work
- Good hearing and vision
- Good communication skills
- Able to follow plans
- Physically fit and healthy.
- Able to work at heights
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.