Photo Credit (boliston)
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Tradies assemble, install, repair and service air conditioning units and refrigeration units in domestic, commercial, industrial offices, electrical substations, hospitals and many more. As a Frigy you’ll learn to use hand, power tools, handle & join copper tubing, use Gauge manifolds to test gas systems and work with a restricted electrical licence. A Certificate III in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning is achieved after a four year apprenticeship is completed and signed off.
After you gain experience as a Frigy and you reach a high level of skills and experience the option may be there for you to move up the ladder in this industry. There are loads of options, you can start your own business, or become a supervisor in a domestic/commercial contracting company or start working your way up the ladder in a larger scale industrial construction project.
Duties and Tasks
- Read and follow drawings and manuals to correctly install, service and repair equipment
- Cut, clean, bend, insulate and join copper tubing
- Install ducting for electrical cabling and copper tubing
- Ensure that equipment is fitted level, properly and everything lines up
- Use Gas gauge manifolds to test existing installations and commission new systems
- Refill cooling systems with correct refrigerant and to correct pressure according to regulations
- Fault find, repair and replace parts to gas, refrigerant, chilled water and compressed air systems – switches, gauges, air filters, tubing, condensers, compressors, evaporators and motors
- Use computers to monitor and operate building management systems
- Normal colour vision
- Good communication skills
- Capability to handle technical work
- Good hand eye co-ordination
- Able to use hand and power tools
- Able of working in a team environment
- Able to read and follow manuals and drawings
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Your Road Map to the Mines – Download Cribhut’s Kickstart Program