Photo Credit (roy.luck)
A Haul Truck is used in surface mining to move large amounts of overburden materials from on top of the mineral ore deposit and also to move the desired minerals. A Haul Truck Operator is generally required to work shift work and as with most mines, are in remote locations. To become a Haul Truck Operator you will be assessed on site and a Certificate of Competency for Conducting Haul Truck Operations is achieved.
Due to the sheer number of people trying to break into this industry, and the fact that most mines are in remote locations, it is difficult to land a start as a Haul Truck Operator. Your best bet is to live locally and already have a good reputation with the mining company, start a Trainee-ship with a mining company or one of it’s contracting companies and start building your hours of operation up. The reason having previous experience in a mine helps is because you understand the importance of safety, and how the whole mining industry works. Also the company will have seen you work and know that they can trust you with a machine that can be worth around the $6 million to $7 million mark.
Duties and Tasks
- Perform daily checks to ensure you’re work ready – Not tired, hungover or under the influence
- Perform pre-start checks of the vehicle
- Operate Haul Truck – Load, haul and dump materials
- Carry out post-operational procedures
- Communicate via radio and computer messages
- Ensure the safe operation of vehicle with regard to alarm systems and monitoring systems
- Enjoy practical work
- Mechanical aptitude
- Able to drive defensively and safely
- Good communication skills
- Able to follow instructions
- Physically fit
- Meet any age limits that may apply
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.