In the ‘How to get a job at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Sunshine Coast University Hospital Project
From the ICN Website
Lend Lease, as a member of the Exemplar Health Consortium, are working with Queensland Health in delivering the new $1.8 billion Sunshine Coast University hospital (SCUH). The Queensland Government is investing $2.03 billion to deliver a new tertiary hospital on the Sunshine Coast to meet growing demand. This tertiary teaching hospital is being delivered using a Public Private Partnership (PPP) delivery model.
Sunshine Coast University Hospital (SCUH), located on a 20 hectare green-field site at Kawana, will offer a range of new and expanded services, meaning fewer people having to travel to Brisbane to receive care.
The facility will include:
- A tertiary teaching hospital opening with about 450 beds in 2016 and expanding to 738 beds by 2021;
- A Skills, Academic and Research Centre to be operated in partnership with the University of Queensland, the University of the Sunshine Coast and Sunshine Coast TAFE;
- A mental health facility;
- A facilities management centre and central energy plant;
- Approximately 3,500 car parking spaces, including two multi-deck above ground carparks; and
- Parklands and supporting infrastructure required for the Kawana campus.
More than 3,500 staff will work in the new hospital when it opens in 2016 and about 6000 staff will be required by 2021.
About 1,800 – 2,000 jobs will be created during the peak of construction activity.
A summary of key program dates is as follows:
- Design from September 2012 through to the end of 2013.
- Site establishment and bulk Earthworks from October 2012
- Kawana Way duplication April 2013 to December 2013
- First multi-level carpark from February 2013 to December 2013
- Main hospital structure from mid 2013 to end 2014
- Fitout & finishes from April 2014
- Project Completion (Stage 1) – end 2016
- Completion (Stage 2) – mid 2018
- Completion (Stage 3) – mid 2021
Location Profile – Sunshine Coast
Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Noosa, Nambour, Caloundra, Kawana, Buderim, Maleny, Tourism, Agriculture, Construction, Surf, 4×4, Trail Riding, Moto X, Swimming, Hiking, National Parks, Boating, Fishing, Shopping, Nightlife, Cafes, Restaurants, Cycling, Mountain Biking, Sky Diving, Go Karting, Australia Zoo
Population: 306,909 (Sunshine Coast SA4 ABS 2012)
Sunshine Coast – Rents as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $160 – $450
3 Bed 1 Bath – $200 – $550
4 Bed 2 Bath – $270 – $750
Sunshine Coast – House Prices as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $180,000 – $2.500,000
3 Bed 1 Bath – $279,000 – $2.200,000
4 Bed 2 Bath – $375,000 – $4.900,000
|Climate data for Sunshine Coast Airport|
|Record high °C||38.7||38.7||33.8||33.5||29.6||28.3||27.7||35.0||34.1||37.0||37.5||38.4||38.7|
|Average high °C||28.6||28.7||27.6||25.8||23.3||21.2||20.8||21.8||24.1||25.4||26.8||28.0||25.2|
|Average low °C||21.2||21.3||19.9||17.0||13.6||11.3||9.4||9.9||12.9||15.6||17.9||19.8||15.8|
|Record low °C||14.5||14.4||10.9||7.8||3.5||1.5||-0.7||1.4||3.4||7.9||5.7||10.0||-0.7|
|Avg. Rainfall mm||150.4||183.5||161.3||160.3||164.5||118.5||68.8||80.6||56.1||78.9||87.8||165.0||1476.2|
Companies Involved with the Sunshine Coast University Hospital Project
Lend Lease – Lend Lease, as a member of the Exemplar Health consortium, are working with Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service in the design and construction of the $1.8 billion Sunshine Coast University Hospital (SCUH) project.
Shadforths Civil Engineering Contractors – Supply and place of concrete curbing and pavement for SCUH site entrances.
Shamrock Civil Engineering – Supply and place of material to designated areas of the site that requires preloading to settle existing fill on site.
Note -There will be more additions to the companies involved as they are announced.
Occupations Required at the Sunshine Coast University Hospital Project
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the Sunshine Coast University Hospital Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP’s, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging Tickets
- First Aid Certificate
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Sunshine Coast University Hospital Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available. As companies are awarded contracts this EBA section will be updated.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)