In the ‘How to get a job at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the 1 William Street Project
From the Treasury Qld Gov website
The 1 William Street office tower will be a landmark structure in the heart of Brisbane’s government precinct. When completed in late 2016, this landmark office tower will provide accommodation for an estimated 4,000 Queensland Government employees, as well as private sector tenants.
1 William Street is also the catalyst for a planned revitalisation of Brisbane’s lower George Street precinct. The revitalised precinct may include a blend of office and commercial spaces, hotels, cultural facilities, residential developments and retail centres.
Cbus Property is developing the $360M, 1 William Street office tower. Cbus Property’s main construction contractor for the development is Brookfield Multiplex.
Objectives of the development
The Queensland Government’s objectives for developing 1 William Street are to:
- enhance Brisbane’s reputation as a vibrant city with modern, landmark architecture in a well-planned urban environment
- accommodate the Queensland Public Service and create a highly productive environment for team members focused on achieving the best outcomes for the businesses and people of Queensland
- reinvigorate and act as a catalyst for change in the Government Administrative Precinct
- achieve value for money for the State
- create a high quality, sustainable development on the site
- activate this project in the shortest possible time as part of the Government’s priority to boost the State’s economy.
- Excavation and piling works completed: Late 2013
- Building structure commences at basement level: Late 2013
- Tower structure commences: Late 2014
- Fitout commences: Early 2015
- Tower structure complete: Mid 2016
- Building and fitout completed: Late 2016
Location Profile – Brisbane
Population: 2.066,000 (Greater Bris ABS 2011)
Brisbane – Rents as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $ 240 – $ 600
3 Bed 1 Bath – $ 260 – $ 640
4 Bed 2 Bath – $ 340 – $ 1,400
Brisbane – House Prices as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $ 175,000 – $ 525,000
3 Bed 1 Bath – $ 215,000 – $1.150 ,000
4 Bed 2 Bath – $ 265,000 – $ 2.900,000
|Climate data for Brisbane|
|Record high °C||40.0||41.7||37.9||33.7||30.7||29.0||28.2||35.4||35.1||38.7||34.8||40.0||41.7|
|Average high °C||30.2||30.0||28.9||27.1||24.4||22.0||21.9||23.1||25.6||26.8||27.8||29.2||26.4|
|Average low °C||21.3||21.3||19.9||17.3||13.5||11.5||9.9||10.6||13.7||16.3||18.6||20.3||16.2|
|Record low °C||17.0||16.5||12.2||10.0||5.0||5.0||3.0||4.1||7.0||9.7||10.8||14.0||3.0|
|Avg. Rainfall mm||157.7||174.6||138.5||90.4||98.8||71.2||62.6||42.7||34.9||94.4||96.5||126.2||1,188.5|
|Avg. Rainfall days||13.0||14.4||14.1||11.0||10.5||7.5||7.2||6.6||6.9||10.0||10.0||11.5||122.7|
Companies Involved with the 1 William Street Project
Brookfield Multiplex – Has been awarded the Main Construction Contract for the construction of the 1 William Street office towers.
Click here to go through to Brookfield Multiplex website.
Note : There may be sub-contractoring companies involved in different phases of construction of the 1 William Street project. This article will be updated with these sub-contracting companies as announcements are made.
Cribhut Premium – For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Required at the 1 William Street Project
- Building Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Electrical / Air Conditioner workers
- Metal workers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Cleaning and Catering Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the 1 William Street Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
1 William Street Project Union Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s can be found, as they are found they will be uploaded into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.