In the ‘How to get a job at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the NorthConnex Project
From the NorthConnex website
The NSW and Federal Governments, Transurban and the M7 Westlink Shareholders are planning to build, operate and maintain a tolled motorway linking the M1 Pacific Motorway at Wahroonga to the Hills M2 Motorway at West Pennant Hills – called NorthConnex.
NorthConnex would provide twin motorway tunnels around nine kilometres in length with a height clearance of 5.3 m and a speed limit of 80 km/h. Each tunnel would be built with long term capacity for three lanes, but would initially operate with two lanes and a breakdown lane in each direction.
As part of the $3 billion NorthConnex, integration work along the Hills M2 Motorway would be carried out to allow the safe merge of traffic from the tunnel onto the Hills M2 Motorway. This work would include a new westbound lane from Pennant Hills Road to the Windsor Road interchange and bridge widening along this route.
- Motorway tunnels each with a three lane capacity for future traffic growth
- A northern interchange at Pennant Hills Road and the M1 Pacific Motorway
- A northern ventilation outlet and support facilities located within and immediately adjacent to the existing M1 Motorway corridor
- A southern interchange at Pennant Hills Road and the Hills M2 Motorway
- A motorway control centre, ventilation outlet and support facilities located near the southern interchange
- Integration work on the Hills M2 Motorway to provide an extra 3.5 km lane and bridge widening works from Pennant Hills Road to the Windsor Road interchange
- On and off-ramps linking the tunnel and the existing M1 Pacific Motorway, north of Edgeworth David Avenue
- A switching station on Coral Tree Drive to power the tunnel and support facilities
- Two tunnel support facilities to provide air intake systems, emergency smoke extraction outlets and substations
- Local road work including widening at Eaton Road near the southern interchange and repositioning of the Hewitt Avenue cul-de-sac near the northern interchange.
Occupations Required at the NorthConnex Project
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver / Tunnel Borer
- Cleaning Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the NorthConnex Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies Involved with the NorthConnex Project
Lend Lease / Bouygues Construction JV – Awarded the $2.9 billion Design and Construction contract for NorthConnex Project by Transurban and its partners in Westlink M7.
UGL – engaged in a $476 million Alliance Agreement for the design, procurement, construction and commissioning of the mechanical, electrical, control, fire and communication systems required for the motorway.
Location Profile – Sydney
The Harbour City, Bondi Beach, Opera House, Kings Cross, Harbour Bridge, Blue Mountains, Finance, Business, Tourism, Retail, Manufacturing, NRL, AFL, Cricket, Surf, Boating, Fishing, Cycling, Parks, Museums, Arts & Culture, Shopping, Beaches, National Parks, Live Music
Population: 4.391, 674 (Greater Sydney ABS 2011)
Sydney – Rents as at Jul 2012
2 bed 1 bath – $260 – $900
3 bed 1 bath – $280 – $1200
4 bed 2 bath – $310 – $1750
Sydney – House Prices at at Jul 2012
2 bed 1 bath – $190,000 – $1.300,000
3 bed 1 bath – $ 230,000– $2.200,000
4 bed 2 bath – $285,000 – $4.225,000
|Climate data for Sydney|
|Record high °C||45.3||42.1||39.8||33.9||30.0||26.9||25.9||31.3||34.6||38.2||41.8||42.2||45.3|
|Average high °C||25.9||25.8||24.7||22.4||19.4||16.9||16.3||17.8||20.0||22.1||23.6||25.2||21.7|
|Average low °C||18.7||18.8||17.5||14.7||11.5||9.3||8.0||8.9||11.1||13.5||15.6||17.5||13.8|
|Record low °C||10.6||9.6||9.3||7.0||4.4||2.1||2.2||2.7||4.9||5.7||7.7||9.1||2.1|
|Avg. Rainfall mm||101.5||118.1||129.3||126.3||121.2||130.5||98.6||80.6||68.9||77.4||83.8||77.9||1213.2|
|Avg. rainy days||12.2||12.4||13.5||12.8||13.2||12.5||11.2||10.4||10.6||11.7||11.7||11.5||143.7|
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
NorthConnex Project Union Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s can be found. As this project moves forward the appropraite EBA’s will be uploaded into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.