In the ‘How to get a job at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the North South Corridor Project
The North South Corridor is one of Adelaide’s most important transport corridors. It is the major route for north and south bound traffic including freight vehicles running between Gawler and Old Noarlunga, a distance of 78 kilometres.
Torrens Road to River Torrens
- Australian and South Australian Governments have committed $896 million to construct the Torrens to Torrens Project.
- Construction of the project, due for completion in 2018.
- In April 2015 major contracts were awarded to an alliance: Leighton Contractors, Aurecon Australia and York Civil.
- Estimated 480 jobs per year during its construction phase.
- In Dec 2015 an extension to this phase of the project was added, which is expected to still come under the same budget and time frame.
- Due for completion by the end of 2018.
- The Torrens 2 Torrens Alliance have an information portal here.
- The South Australian Government have an information portal here.
Fly through of the North-South Corridor (Torrens to Torrens) Project
Other Stages: Darlington Upgrade Project
The Australian and State Governments have also committed $620 million in total towards the construction of the Darlington Upgrade Project. The Darlington Upgrade Project is expected to commence in late 2015.
- A new lowered road on the western side of South Road that will allow non-stop flow of traffic from the Southern Expressway to the Ayliffes Road intersection with South Road.
- A parallel surface road (an upgraded South Road) along the current South Road alignment to ensure all existing arterial and local road connections remain in place and operate as they do now.
- The extension of Flinders Drive from South Road to Sturt Road to enable more efficient public transport access to Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders Private Hospital and Flinders University.
Occupations Required at the North South Corridor Project
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Cleaning and Catering Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the North South Corridor Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or SA Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the North-South Corridor (Torrens to Torrens) Project
- Torrens2Torrens Alliance – Major works contractor alliance.
- Zancott Recruitment and MK2 Recruitment – Labour Hire Recruiters
- Transfield Services (now Broadspectrum) – Rail Installation and Construction – Employment Page, Linkedin Page
- Sage Automation – Intelligent Transport Systems – Employment Page, Linkedin Page
- Downer – Asphalt – Employment Page, Linkedin Page
We will continue to update as further announcements are made.
Follow Job Watch (Cribhut Premium) – For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs.
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
North South Corridor Project Union Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
No EBA’s are available as yet for the North South Corridor project (Torrens Road and River Torrens section).
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.