In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the SunCentral Maroochydore Project
The SunCentral Maroochydore Project is planned to create a new central business district for the Sunshine Coast on a now greenfield site of a former 53-hectare former golf course. The project is planned to include commercial, retail, residential and cultural precincts with 40 per cent of the site to be parks and waterways.
- Maroochydore, Queensland.
- SunCentral Maroochydore Pty Ltd was established by the Sunshine Coast Council in early 2015 to oversee the development.
- Project expected to provide an estimated $5.9 billion boost to the Queensland economy.
- Project expected to provide an estimated $4.4 billion boost to the Sunshine Coast economy over the life of the project.
- Project expected to create 5,000 jobs by 2020, 15,000 jobs by 2025 and more than 30,000 jobs by 2040.
- 150,000m2 commercial gross floor area, 65,000m2 retail gross floor area and 2000 residential apartments.
- Project includes a range of ‘smart city’ innovations such as smart lighting and signage and technology that assists parking, traffic management and provides real time information for public transport.
- Preliminary construction on Stage 1 commenced in February 2016.
- SunCentral Maroochydore has an information portal here.
Occupations Potentially Required at the SunCentral Maroochydore Project
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- A/C Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to potentially help you get a foot in at the SunCentral Maroochydore Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies Involved with the SunCentral Maroochydore Project
- SunCentral Maroochydore (wholly-owned by the Sunshine Coast Council) – overseeing the development of the site.
- Cardno (QLD) – has been awarded the Construction Superintendency and Contract Administration Services for Stage 1 Bulk Earthworks.
- Shadforths Civil Contractors – Stage 1 bulk earthworks contract.
Next: The Stage 1A civil, engineering and construction works is currently out to tender, We will update this space as soon as we are aware that announcements are made.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
SunCentral Maroochydore Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
If you ever want to look up an EBA yourself – here’s the link.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.