In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Western Distributor Project
The $5.5 billion Western Distributor Project is a partnership between the Victorian Government and Transurban that is expected to create 5,600 jobs and includes the Western Distributor, the Monash Freeway Upgrade and access improvements for Webb Dock.
- Melbourne, Victoria.
- Partnership between the Victorian Government and Transurban.
- $5.5 billion project.
- Expected to provide a $11 billion boost to Victoria’s economy.
- Project expected to create 6,500 jobs.
- Project includes the Western Distributor, the Monash Freeway Upgrade and access improvements for Webb Dock.
- The Western Distributor is to provide direct access to the Port and an alternative to the West Gate Bridge.
- The Monash Freeway Upgrade will streamline traffic from Geelong to Pakenham with 30 klm’s of additional lanes.
- The Webb Dock Access improvements are the first works to commence with the aim to better connect freight from Webb Dock to the freeway network.
- Tenders for the project close in late 2016.
- Construction is expected to start in late 2017 and the project complete in 2022.
- The Victorian Government has an information portal here.
Occupations Potentially Required at the Western Distributor Project
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to potentially help you get a foot in at the Western Distributor Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or VIC Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies Involved with the Western Distributor Project
- Victorian Government -Victorian Government information portal.
- Transurban – Partner / owner / operator.
Next: Tenders from three invited parties for the construction of the project are due in late 2016. We will update this article as soon as we have word that a contract has been handed out.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Western Distributor Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
If you ever want to look up an EBA yourself – here’s the link.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.