In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Cannington Mine
Silver, Lead and Zinc mine 200km’s South-East of Mt Isa, NSW.
- 100% owned by South32. Previously owned by BHP.
- One of the world’s largest producers of silver and lead.
- Cannington comprises of:
- an underground hard rock mine;
- a surface processing facility;
- a road-to-rail transfer facility;
- and at the Port of Townsville a concentrate handling and ship loading facility.
- For the 2015 Financial Year Cannington produced:
- 22,601,000 tonnes of payable silver;
- 183, 000 tonnes of payable lead;
- and 72,000 tonnes of payable zinc.
- Cannington has an estimated reserve life of 7 years and a 14 year resource life.
- Cannington is a FIFO mine site.
- Most employees are flown in from either Townsville or Brisbane.
- Cannington mine have stated it, ‘…provides resort style onsite accommodation with laundry and meal services, as well as sporting and gym facilities.’
Companies Involved with Cannington Mine
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the Cannington Mine for shutdowns and/or projects in the past:
- Mitchell Services – Awarded drilling contract worth approximately $14 million over 3 years. Announced 4th February 2016.
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at Cannington Mine
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Plant Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Underground Plant Operators
- Underground Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at Cannington Mine
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licences
- Standard 11 Generic OH&S Induction – Underground & Surface.
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- Cert III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue (Metal Stream)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.