In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Macarthur Wind Farm
A 420MW wind farm 16km east of Macarthur in Victoria.
- Owned by Morrison & Co and Malakoff
- The largest wind farm of it’s kind in the Southern Hemisphere.
- 140 3MW Vesta’s turbines.
- Practical completion was reached on the 31 January 2013 and the site is now operational.
- Development and construction employment was estimated at over 5,000 people, however;
- Only approximately 18 local residents are permanent staff for operations and maintenance.
- Site is on about 5,500 hectares of freehold agricultural land.
Companies Involved with Macarthur Wind Farm
- AGL Energy – Operator / Maintainer.
- Nilsen – Five year maintenance contract 2013-2018
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the Macarthur Wind Farm for construction or shutdown projects in the past:
- Leighton Contractors (now CPB Contractors – owned by Cimic) – Consortium with Vestas for the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract during the design, construction and commissioning phase.
- Vestas – Consortium with Leighton Contractors for the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract during the design, construction and commissioning phase.
- Keppel Prince Engineering – Fabricated 80 of the 140 wind towers.
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at the Macarthur Wind Farm
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Plant Operators
- Crane Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at the Macarthur Wind Farm
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or VIC Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.