In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMT) Project
The Victorian Government is investing in the build of 65 high capacity trains for the metropolitan network.
- $2.3 billion project
- 15 per cent of work will be completed by local apprentices, trainees and engineering cadets.
- Project to create 1,100 highly-skilled local jobs.
- Evolution Rail consortium selected as the ‘preferred respondent.’
- Evolution Rail comprises Downer EDI, CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles and Plenary Group.
- Project works includes:
- Design, manufacture and commissioning of 65 HCMTs in Newport.
- Design and build of two training simulators.
- Design, construction and commissioning of a train maintenance facility and stabling yards at Pakenham East.
- Design, construction and commissioning of a light service facility at Calder Park.
- Downer EDI commencing a $16 million upgrade to its Newport facilities.
- This will create an additional 50 jobs during construction.
- MCHT’s to begin to be put in use in mid-2019 and, project planned completion in 2023.
Occupations Potentially Required at the High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMT) Project
- Electrical/Instrumentation Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMT) Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or VIC Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
Companies / Organisations Involved with the High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMT) Project
- Victorian State Government – Project owner
- Downer EDI Limited -HCMT construction
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMT) Project Union Greenfields Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project we are unable to find any EBA’s. As any EBA’s are released / found they will be updated into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.