In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Western Sydney Airport project
- The Australian Government is delivering the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek via a government-owned company called WSA Co.
- Estimated budget of $5.3 billion to deliver the airport.
- Western Sydney Airport is expected to be operational by 2026.
- The airport will add $1.9 billion to Western Sydney’s economy during the construction phase alone.
- By the early 2030s, it will create around 20,000 direct and indirect jobs for Western Sydney residents.
- Stage 1:
- WSA Co will be constructing an airport with a 3.7 kilometre runway and a terminal with capacity for 10 million passengers a year.
- cargo facilities;
- dedicated maintenance areas;
- a public transport hub;
- easy-access parking from the upgraded road network; and
- areas set aside for business parks.
- The Australian and NSW governments are constructing new and upgraded roads around the airport under the $3.6 billion Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan.
Occupations Potentially Required for the Western Sydney Airport
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Crane Operators
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Western Sydney Airport
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Western Sydney Airport
- CPB Contractors / LendLease Joint Venture – awarded the Early Earthworks contract, which will see up to 180 workers and around 1.8 million cubic metres of soil moved. The Early Earthworks contract also includes building the access roads and drainage required to enable major construction to commence in 2019.
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Western Sydney Airport Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.