In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About GEMCO (Groote Eylandt) Mine
Manganese mine on the island of Groote Eylandt, in the Gulf of Carpentaria, Northern Territory.
- 60% owned by South32. 40% owned by Anglo America.
- largest and lowest-cost manganese ore producer in the world.
- GEMCO comprises of:
- open cut strip mine;
- stock piling facilities;
- ship loading facilities;
- and associated infrastructure.
- For the 2019 financial year GEMCO expect to produce 3.35 million wet metric tonnes of manganese ore.
- Cannington has an estimated reserve life of 7 years, and life extension potential in the eastern leases to approximately 2031.
- GEMCO is a FIFO and local mine site.
- Most employees are flown in from Darwin or live locally on the island.
Companies Involved with GEMCO (Groote Eylandt) Mine
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the GEMCO Mine for operations, maintenance, shutdowns and/or projects in the past:
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at GEMCO (Groote Eylandt) Mine
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Plant Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at GEMCO (Groote Eylandt) Mine
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licences
- Cert III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue (Metal Stream)
- Certificate IV in Hazardous Areas – Electrical Course
- EEHA Installation, Maintenance and Inspection Course
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.